Empress Canyoning + Abseiling // 13th October - $275
An entry level abseiling and canyoning experience - undoubtedly the best value, most thrilling experience anywhere near Sydney!
How The Day Goes:
At 8.45am, we meet at the Australian School of Mountaineering Office inside The Paddy Pallin Adventure Centre, 166 Katoomba Street Katoomba (2-minute walk from Katoomba train station).
We first focus on our abseiling skills with several short practice abseils and then move up to some higher challenges.
After lunch, which is provided so please be sure to inform us of dietary requirements, we get to the main event - Empress Canyon. The journey takes us deep inside the sandstone cliff, wading, scrambling, swimming and jumping into pools - whoop!
We will complete our canyon journey with a WATERFALL ABSEIL down Empress Falls.
From here, we hike back to the bus, taking in some of the most impressive views to be found anywhere in the Blue Mountains. We finish up at 5pm.
If you are travelling from Sydney to Katoomba, allow 2 hours by train or 1.5 hours by car.
The Australian School of Mountaineering Office is inside The Paddy Pallin Adventure Centre:
166 Katoomba Street
It is a 2-minute walk from the train station.
- Technical Grade: Easy
- Fitness Grade: Easy/Medium
- Uphill walking: Several short uphill walks between abseils and 1 hour uphill at the end to exit the canyon
- Time: 8.45am - 4.30pm
- An exciting introduction to canyoning amongst a class of likeminded women :)
- Lunch - when you book, we will ask you for your dietary requirements
- ASM's Nationally Qualified & Highly Experienced Guides
- All technical abseiling and canyoning equipment is provided by ASM - wetsuits, dry-bags, canyon packs, harnesses, helmets and ropes etc. If you have your own specialist equipment such as harnesses and wetsuits and wish to use them then feel free to bring it them along.
- Personal clothing - we'll send you an information sheet detailing specific clothing and dress requirements but don't worry, it won't be anything you don't already have! All specialist equipment will be provided by ASM.
- Personal insurance
- Travel to and from location
Feel free to bring your camera but PLEASE NOTE most canyons are VERY WET places and so special precautions are required.
Though ASM supply participants with purposemade dry bags to help keep general equipment, clothing and food dry, they should not to be relied upon to keep your camera gear safe.
While your guide will readily assist you to obtain those “once in a lifetime” shots, the guide is not responsible for the safety of your camera equipment.
We recommend the following; disposable cameras in double plastic bags, waterproof disposable cameras (you can purchase these at the ASM Office), waterproof dive cameras (lightweight ones), conventional cameras in purpose made waterproof boxes or bags and a small hand towel to dry your hands before use.
If you have any concerns about the day, feel free to ring the ASM office on 4782 2014.
In the event of bad weather, we will aim to re-organise the event.
If you're unable to make the new date it we will offer you a full refund.
No refund on tickets on cancellations 7 days out from the event.
No refunds on no shows.