8 Ways to Put Your Health First for 2018 Women's Health Week
The Women's Health Survey 2018 spoke to 15,000 women from across Australia and found:
- 66.9 per cent of women felt nervous, anxious or on edge nearly every day, or on more than seven days in the last four weeks
- 46.1 per cent had been diagnosed with clinical depression or anxiety
- 70.3 per cent reported doing at least two hours of exercise per week
- 50.8 per cent described themselves as overweight or obese
This week, from 3-7 September 2018, is Women's Health Week
Let's use this week to kickstart putting our health first.
Here are 8 ways to get started:
- Start your morning with 5-minutes of journalling or reading instead of rushing straight into your day.
- Keep your 1-litre BPA-free water bottle on you to make it more accessible and help yourself remember to HYDRATE! Aim for 35 millilitres of water per kilogram of bodyweight, increasing for warm temperatures and exercise.
- If you spend a lot of time sitting, set a 45-minute timer as an alert to get up for a quick stretch or stroll.
- If you spend a lot of time staring at the screen, remember to take breaks to look out into the distance and into natural light for your eyes' sake.
- Schedule in your gym time. Literally, block out your calendar right now.
- Swap out a lunch date with a friend this weekend for a walk/hike instead - healthier and cheaper!
- Sign up to a structured course for a new activity such as indoor climbing/ breakdancing/ yoga/ pilates to get you moving in a new way and to keep you accountable!
- Try ending your day with some light stretching or breathing exercises (like breathe in for 2 counts, hold for 2 counts, breath out for 2 counts, hold for 2 counts) to down regulate your body
To find out more about Women's Health Week, click here
Want to learn how to dive but head buzzing with questions? Charlie Elliott addresses some FAQs on the She Went Wild blog.
The legends of Osprey have come through with the goods for us women! Introducing the Renn 65; a lightweight yet durable ventilated pack with plenty of the quality features making it the perfect companion for backpacking trips. We took it to the Royal National Park for some thorough testing.
“Since 1966, we have viewed walls not as obstacles, but as opportunities. We believe in a world that is united by difference, bound by empathy and strengthened by understanding.” Celebrate Global Climbing Day with The North Face.
Three gals and one guy hatched a plan for an adventure, one that didn’t require plane tickets or passports, but would encompass the wonders of……..HOME. And so off they went to travel the length of Wales, covering over 400 kilometres in 21 days, all on foot and in one-man inflatable pack rafts!
XTM Performance’s Layla Snow Bib Pants - where style meets fit meets functionality meets comfort. And your chance to win an XTM Performance snow outerwear prize pack!
It normally takes 5 months for someone to complete New Zealand’s 3,000-kilometre Te Araroa trail…but Lucy Clark is striving to run it in under 70 days, becoming the fastest Aussie woman to complete it!
Ultra Trail Australia or UTA is basically a massive trail running party, held over 4 days in the Blue Mountains. You can sign up for either the 11, 22, 50 or 100 kilometre course. It may seem extreme but Joanne Woutersz went from hiking to trail running to ULTRA trail running in less than six months and here’s her story…
Ski touring is the activity of walking (also called skinning) uphill on skis, often away from the main ski resort area, and then skiing downhill off piste. It allows you to spend a day in the mountains with constantly changing scenery and often never covering the same ground twice. Here’s how to get started.
Finding outdoor gear for your little one involves jumping headfirst down as deep a rabbit hole as selecting gear for yourself. Even though they are, like, a third of your size. We’re here to make it easier with a list of our favourite layers, outerwear and backpacks!
Rain jackets are notoriously uncomfortable and unflattering…but in comes the Patagonia Recycled Rainwear Collection which feature rain jackets that are not only supple, designed with a clean silhouette and high-performing, but are also made of unique recycled materials.